I bet you can’t just have one of these delicious pretzel bites. I really like all things pretzel, but not the Auntie Annie’s staff, that is drowned in butter before it is served. So I had to find a lighter version to make at home. Because, you know, WW and keeping the lost weight off without depriving myself. And of course most importantly my hubby.
So, what are you waiting for? Oh yes, right. The recipe. You certainly need the recipe first. Well here we go!
First the list of ingredients so to start with:
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of fat free Greek yogurt (I like using Fage)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 cup of boiling hot water
- So, In a large mixing bowl mix the dry ingredients well (or your pretzel bites will have humps). Add the Greek yogurt and knit for a couple of minutes until you have a smooth dough ball. You then divide the ball into 4 equal portions.
On a flat surface roll out each ball into ~13 inch long “snakes” and cut each snake into 13 equally sized bites. Store on large plates (not too close). Set in the fridge to cool while you prepare the next steps.
Preheat oven at 425 degree F and put a rack into the upper third of your oven.
Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Meanwhile, put plates with bites on the kitchen counter. Then set out a bowl, add the baking soda and boiling water. Your next step is, to mix it thoroughly. You will want to prepare some paper towels next to the baking sheet. So that you can remove excess water. Now throw 4-5 bites at a time into the hot baking soda water mix, pull them out and place on the paper towel.
Place bites on the baking sheet and bake for 12-16 minutes, until golden brown and crunchy (not burned!). Serve with your preferred dip.
Here some ideas:
- Tostitos salsa con queso (medium)
- Sir Kensington’s Mustard – Spicy Brown
- Do you like any of these ideas? What’s your preferred dip? Ranch dip, for example, would probably be good, too. Not for me though, as I do not like anything onion(y). Whatever dip you are choosing, these bites are a ballpark feast without having to be in a ballpark. In short, that’s a good thing in my books. Because who would want to be in a ballpark right now? Not even the players, apparently.